Thursday, July 5, 2012

"Lets go to the beach, each. Lets go get away"

This song was stuck in my head constantly on our recent trip to the glorious.......
El Capitan, California!
We loaded up the trucks and trailers and headed out early Sunday morning, with our bags stuffed with clothes and our back packs packed with snacks. Because I mean c'mon what's a road trip without snacks?!

The camp ground we stayed at was absolutely beautiful and the beach was only a half mile away, perfect right? We had our beach cruisers, the tents were set up and we slept in late everyday. We loved it. Only bad thing was we had to hide from the NUMEROUS squirrels that were EVERYWHERE! we saw at least more than 3, EACH NIGHT. Besides the skunks though we really did have a good time.
First Day

 

DAY 2!


We started out our day two with what we thought would be a simple bike ride. Man were we wrong. You'll notice in the first collage, me and Emily riding a tandem bicycle. We rode this bike with Lenzi following on the other to a camp ground under the Interstate. To get to this interstate you have to ride (get off and walk) up a huge hill. We spent a few minutes at this other campsite then decided to turn back. Me and Emily had gotten pretty good at the tandem, pedaling at the same time, working the brakes, and steering. So as were going along we get our pedaling in sync just as we get to the VERY TOP of that huge hill, as we start to go down I go to press on the brakes to slow us down only to discover.....THAT THE CHAIN HAS FALLEN OFF AND WE HAVE NO BRAKES! At this point we are speeding down this massive hill screaming, crying, yelling, and telling everyone to get out of our way. There was no way to stop at all so I had to just keep the bike up right and on the road.
Ha these are the many thoughts that flashed through mine and Emily's mind as we plummeted to what we thought was sure to be our death:

  • I am going to die.
  • I'm really crying.
  • Oh Crap!
  • I'm going to lose all my teeth.
  • My husband isn't going to think I'm pretty.
  • We're going to hit a tree.
  • Jaynie's tears are hitting my face.
  • Lord Help US!
Finally we made it to an uphill slant that was enough to slow us down for me to put my feet down. Probably the scariest moment of my life so far! I don't think I've ever cried while riding a bike before so that was a first. We ended up totally fine, just a little emotionally scarred. When my dad checked the bike out back at camp he discovered the tire could have easily fallen off, so we got pretty lucky.

After that we headed out to a quick hike to a waterfall, and on the way spotted this cute little place were you could pick your own strawberries and raspberries. Completely awesome!

All in all the trip was a huge success and a lot of fun!



<!-- Place this tag where you want the +1 button to render. -->
<div class="g-plusone" data-annotation="inline" data-width="300"></div>

<!-- Place this tag after the last +1 button tag. -->
<script type="text/javascript">
  (function() {
    var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;
    po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
  })();
</script>

No comments:

Post a Comment